DEADLINE = JUNE 23, 2012

TO DO: 0 COMPLETED: 50!

"it's interesting to be in your mid-twenties... up until this point in my life, i have been working hard for something, wishing something, expecting something. whether it's learning to drive, going to prom, my first kiss, graduating high school, going to college, graduating college, getting a job. i feel like everything in my life has happened so fast and suddenly... i'm here. i have a degree, i have a good job, i have a nice apartment, i have a boyfriend, i have a dog. of course, i have plenty of things to look forward to... but for me, probably nothing major anytime soon. this last year, i kind of felt like i "arrived." and after 24 years of moving forward, it's weird to just be... here. i'm kind of at a place where i'm saying "now what?"

i just turned 25 a couple weeks ago, and i decided life can be as interesting as i make it-- to seize the day-- even without any major life changes. so i made a bucket list for this year. there's a couple big things, but really most of them are feasible "firsts" or attempts to make changes to my day-to-day life or things to look forward to. here. now."

Saturday, June 23, 2012

#16 Write Something Significant/Conclusion


I know this might seem like kind of a cop out, but writing this bucket list was probably one of the most significant things I have ever written.  For a while I thought about writing a short story, or writing an essay-- but then I realized that over the course of this last year, this bucket list included several of these... and then some.  And I felt like the best way to conclude my "bucket list year" would be to reflect on the bucket list as a whole.

For the longest time I wanted to be a writer.  Between the middle of elementary school and the end of high school, I always kept a notebook where I would write everything from short stories, to journal entries, to poems.  By the time I graduated, I had several paper bags filled with old notebooks in my closet.  At first I dreamed of writing novels, but my freshman year of high school I decided I wanted to be a journalist.  And I held on to that dream until the middle of my junior year in college, when I decided I would rather work in a field that would be easier to find a job in (journalism is somewhat of a dying industry.)  So I chose business.  And for the last six years, I've tried to decide whether or not I regretted it.
This blog was obviously meant to encourage me to do things that I    
might not have otherwise done.  But it was also meant to stretch me as a writer.


Because even though I have been a "writer" since I was in 3rd grade, I have never written publicly.  And, even further, I put myself in a position where I had to write a large number of things in a relatively short period of time.  Several times this year I found myself with about six blogs I still needed to write... and even if I was tired or didn't have much time to edit anything, I still had to write one.  And then publish it.  I felt like this was my way of proving whether I was ever cut out to be a journalist or a writer.

To be honest, I still don't know.  And maybe that's evidence that I chose the right path.  There is no doubt in my mind that I can do it-- I did it!  And there were times that I sat back and was really proud of what I had written.  But there were also times that it was stressful and I didn't feel like I had enough time to write something valuable.  And I'm just not sure I enjoyed that.  I think if I am ever going to write something "public" in the future, I'd prefer to have more time to work on it.  I don't think journalism allows you that luxury. :)


Whether or not I achieved what I was hoping from writing this bucket list, I can tell you without a doubt that I don't regret any of it.  I am so much of a dreamer-- I love to dream of things that I want to do someday, places I want to go, things I want to accomplish.  The majority of my life I have focused much more on the future than the present.  And this year I knew that would be harder than any other year.  Because I knew this next year I would be engaged.  And I knew within the next few years I would go back to school, and maybe get a house, and maybe have enough money to travel, and maybe someday I'd start a family.  And I didn't want to waste this last year waiting for all of these things.  I wanted to live in THAT moment and enjoy where I was THEN.  And because I chose to focus on the present, this last year ended up being one of the best years of my life.

I always wanted to see a Vikings game-- and I did!  I always wanted to ride an elephant in India-- but why wait for India?  I did it this year.  I wanted to read the Bible in Spanish, but I never had the motivation to do it until I told all my facebook friends I would.  And then I had to!  I wanted to learn to cook, to grow as a musician, to become more of an artist, to live a healthier lifestyle, to actually SPEND a little of my money instead of just saving it.  I did all of these things.

Over the course of this last year, I have been able to do so much and grow so much as a person.  I have strengthened so many different skills and accomplished so many life goals.  But, more than anything, I was able to improve my outlook on life: that life is now and always will be now.  And that, while it's important to remember the past and to plan for the future, you should always live in the present.  I'm really looking forward to living in the "present" this next year as I plan for a wedding. :)  Of course it will be a lot easier to do this, now that life is more exciting.  But I'm glad I was able to make the most of this last "less significant" year.  I made it significant and I will always remember it now.

1 comment:

  1. 1) Journalism is NOT dying silly girl. It's just CHANGING :)
    2) I think you could be a very good writer. And depending on what writing path you choose, you are allowed some time to write things. Magazines give you more time that daily newspapers.
    3) I think you write well.
    4) I'm glad you were able to accomplish all of these things. It's not merely a list of fun things to do to keep you from being bored, but a way to test your strengths, your fears, your weaknesses, your endurance, and your patience. I'm happy you found how to live in the NOW instead of in the FUTURE. Now is only here for a short while and we'll never get it back.

    You rock. :)

    ReplyDelete